DIY Hair Bow Tutorial
If you saw my outfit post last week (here) then you would have seen me wearing a cute blue hair bow. If you read the post then you also know that I promised to provide a tutorial for hair bows this week! So, here it is!
This is a pretty easy project. It doesn't take a lot of time and the results are great!
Let's get started.
Fabric- make sure it's not one that will be too floppy. You want it to be able to hold a bow form. You'll only need 17.5" x 8.5" of fabric to make a bow that is 6" long and 2.5" wide at the widest part of the bow.
French barrette clip- I got a pack of 25 from Michael's for a couple of dollars
1. Iron your fabric to remove creases. Cut out a 13" x 6" piece of fabric
2. Fold one of the long sides of the fabric into the middle. Fold the other long side in as well, making sure that it overlaps the other piece that you folded in and that the width of the folded fabric is 2.5". Pin the folded fabric together.
3. Iron the fabric flat and remove the pins.
4. Fold one of the short sides into the middle. Fold the other short side in as well, making sure that it overlaps the other folded side and that the length of the folded fabric is 6". Pin this in place and iron.
5. Sew some long stitches down the middle of the bow. Make sure that you sew through all layers of fabric.
6. Holding onto the loose end of the thread, pull the fabric down the thread, gathering it and making it a bow shape. Tie off the thread.
7. Cut another piece of fabric that is 4.5" x 2.5".
8. Fold the one of the long sides into the middle and fold the other long side in on top of it. Make sure that the width is 1" after you've folded. Pin this and iron it flat.
9. Wrap the newly folded fabric around the center of your bow and pin end together
10. Sew the ends of the fabric together while also going through some of the layers of fabric in the bow. Don't go all the way through to the other side.
10. Sew the barrette clip to the bow